Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Who in the Hell is Allergic to Chicken

I’m not…well sometimes…when the mood calls for it.

I love chicken and eat quite often (a few times a week). Chicken is very versatile in the food world, as it basically can be paired with lots of different ingredients; not to mention that it is relatively inexpensive (for the most part).
So why would I eat something that I am allergic to? To save money…that’s stupid because I just wouldn’t buy it.

The truth is, I’m not allergic to it (nor have any other food allergies).

However, there have been a number of times over the last few years that chicken makes me really sick. I can’t explain it. I don’t know if it’s MS related or not. What I do know is that I am fine, and then one day I eat chicken and it makes me sick, but not food poisoning sick.
The “allergy” will last a week or two, and then go away for months at a time. Most of my Multiple Sclerosis issues come and go as they please, and so the chicken thing fits right in.
 
(I guess that I could stop eating cartoon chickens…laugh that was supposed to be funny)
According to one website:
Doctors are not sure exactly what causes multiple sclerosis (MS). An autoimmune disease affecting the brain and spinal cord, MS causes sufferers' immune systems to damage their own central nervous systems. Although individuals have to be genetically susceptible in order to develop MS, once they have this genetic predisposition, onset of the disease can be triggered by environmental factors, including diet. Data indicates that food hypersensitivities, including food allergies, may initiate, exacerbate or aid in the progression of the disease.

Like MS, allergies are related to the immune system. When you have a food allergy, your immune system identifies the food as harmful to your body and tries to fight it off. Different people have different reactions to foods they are allergic to, ranging from rashes and itchy skin to gastrointestinal and respiratory symptoms to life-threatening anaphylactic shock. Components of some common food allergens, such as milk, legumes and grains, are known to cause autoimmune diseases. The proteins in milk even cause degeneration of the central nervous systems of mice in a way that closely resembles MS.

Food allergies are much more common in people with MS (50 to 75 percent) than in the general population (one to two percent). The most common food allergens among people with MS are dairy, grains, yeast, eggs and legumes. (Among the general population the most common food allergens are dairy, wheat, eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish.)

The avoidance of allergenic foods has been known to help control MS symptoms (and the reintroduction of those foods to cause the recurrence of symptoms). Avoiding food allergens is actually recommended as a form of treatment.

(Taken from: http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/allergies/food-allergy/information/can-food-allergies-cause-multiple-sclerosis.htm)

So what does that all mean? Nothing…they don’t know. MS is different, yet the same, in everybody that has it. So am I allergic to chicken? It depends on the time of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment