Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Getting Caned Like an Old Man

I remember when canes were for the old, not the young (yes I’m still young…not to my kids, but in the scheme of things).

How does one pull off a cane? I don’t think people question it, or even look twice (as they say) when an elderly person uses a cane or some other type of walking aid. There are definitely younger people that need assistance when they are moving around, and it is obvious to why they have a cane. But what about those of us that only need a part-time cane during the times when a little (or a lot) of extra walking support is necessary?

Do people look at you and think, “There goes a fashion disaster…that dumbass?” What do you think of when you see a younger person with a cane, when you are not noticing an obvious “disability”? I know that I look at people differently then I used to…actually it’s not that I look at people with canes differently, it’s that I notice them now.

Multiple Sclerosis is a tricky way of life with its different hurdles. Personally I don’t always need a walking aid, but when I do, it is a needed friend and is very beneficial. So that begs the question, how does one pull off a cane?

I was using a cane the other day and my neighbor pointed it out. Made some sort of comment about trying to bring it back into fashion. He felt like an ass when I told him of my MS and I needed it sometimes, but that is my point; I have seen my neighbor a handful of times over the years, but obviously never with a cane.

So you needed a cane to walk yesterday, but not today? It almost comes off as an excuse.

“Chris, can you help me move tomorrow?”

“Yeah sorry, I have a feeling that my legs are going to be weak and giving out tomorrow throwing off my balance and coordination, resulting in the use of my cane. This usually happens around…sorry, what time are you moving again?”

You can argue the point of who cares what people think, and that is a good argument for no one because people really care about what others think of them (there are different degrees on this, but people care).

My issue isn’t people seeing me using a cane, especially complete strangers. My issues are from the people I know treating me differently. Which we all know happens, even if they say they didn’t realize that they were doing it.

The end of the day, I use my cane sometimes…less than I probably should, but more than I used to. In fact I now have a collection of canes…two of them to be exact (that counts as a collection…right?).

Still, no matter what, I don’t know how to pull off the use of a cane. Can you use a cane while wearing shorts? I feel that there needs to be a certain dress code when one uses a cane. Jeans are acceptable, but what about a moustache…beard yes, but a moustache?

I feel like I’m missing the cane guidelines and user manual.

All joking aside, I’ll use my cane when I absolutely (sometimes) need it; no matter what I am wearing (sort of), or if I have a moustache or not. I know that no one is going to say something, and if they do I’ll make them feel like crap for making fun of somebody with MS…stupid bastards.

So here at the end of my post I haven’t learned anything new or answered my own question; so basically this post served absolutely no purpose. Well at least you get to see a picture of my cane collection.

Happy walking!!!!
 
http://chrisallreddesign.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment