Monday, June 15, 2015

What Does MS and “The Humpty Dance” Have In Common?


Digital Underground’s Shock G (aka Humpty Hump) must have had Multiple Sclerosis in mind when he created his dance.

I’m joking of course…

But there is some truth to it…

I’m trying to walk around more and more without my cane, not because I don’t need it, but because it is a pain in the ass.

I’m right handed, and my cane goes in my right hand (that’s the side that I need it on…mostly).

I’m automatically down a hand…

My dominate hand.

So that sucks, but it gets worse…

If I need both hands for something, I prop my cane up (either against myself or an object in front of me).

Then the cane falls over…

I pick it up…

And it falls over…

Again…

And again…

And again…

The best part of this highly frustrating act is the people watching, smiling, and/or laughing.

(No joke)

Should I take a bow?

The part that really hurts me is the needing of help…

Not the act of needing help.

But being called an invalid for needing help.

Yes…I was called an invalid.

That hurts!

Really bad…

Sticks and stones is BS because words can tear you apart.

So unless I absolutely need it…

…or have a full day planned…

I try and avoid it.

SO…

What does walking without a cane look like?

Well…

A lot of the time it looks like the eternal words of Humpty Hump…

“First I limp to the side like my leg was broken
Shaking and twitching kinda like I was smoking
Crazy wack funky
People say ya look like M.C. Hammer on crack, Humpty
That's all right cause my body's in motion
It's supposed to look like a fit or a convulsion
Anyone can play this game
This is my dance, y'all, Humpty Hump's my name
No two people will do it the same
Ya got it down when ya appear to be in pain
Humping, funking, jumping
Jig around, shaking ya rump
And when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump
Tell him step off, I'm doing the Hump”




No comments:

Post a Comment